The Sweet Stuff Ministry

Thursday, August 10, 2017

I Left my Baby in a Trailer Park in Alabama!!

Joshua 1:9   "Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go".

I left my baby in a trailer park in Alabama!!

You may be wondering if this is the making of a new country song.  I assure you there is a testimony here.  I will hold on to my day job for a bit longer before I try my hand at song writing.

This past weekend we moved our oldest daughter to Auburn, Alabama to begin her studies at the College of Veterinary Medicine.  This is eight hours from our home.  Even though she left home four years ago for her undergraduate studies, she was only a couple of hours from us if we wanted to pop in for a visit.

A tradition at Auburn for many decades has been that the veterinary students live in mobile home parks that are situated close to the school.  The vet school is away from main campus and what we call "out in the country".  Our daughter has met several veterinarians over the years that have told her about their experiences in the various mobile home parks.  It is where the students get their start at living on their own.    

In the weeks preceding her move, it all seemed in my mind like she was moving to the other side of the planet.  I had a great amount of anxiety, as all mothers do, about her safety and all the "what ifs" that might occur.  The thought of the distance between us caused a restlessness within me.  I was fearful.   

I have always thought that my main role as a mother is to teach our children to seek God in all that they do.  In that role, I am to lead my children toward the purpose which God has designed for each them.  Even in doing this, there is still what seems to be a ripping of the flesh as our children grow from a dependence on us as parents into their independence. We experience such feelings at various times throughout a child's growth and development.

I have never doubted that our oldest daughter is exactly on the journey which God has planned for her.  God has prepared her for this journey.  I can look as far back as when she was a toddler and recognize how God has opened each door at just the right time in her life.  Life is dynamic.  It is ever changing and always moving.  God is the only constant for each of us in life.  I must trust Him for all the things that are impossible for me to control.


Driving away, I felt like my insides were being ripped apart.  God was quick to remind me that her life is exploding toward her purpose and her dreams.   As we left Auburn on Sunday, a slow peaceful rain began to fall.  Much like the tears that were falling from my heart.  They were peaceful tears.  My husband said to me, "things are as they should be".  There is great peace in that truth.  John 14:27,   "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid".   


It is hard to let our babies go.  It involves a range of emotions that all parents understand.  I know these truths and promises:  God has plans for each of our children to prosper (Jeremiah 29:11); God is with our babies everywhere they go (Joshua 1:9);  God will protect our children (2 Thessalonians 3:3).

God has brought her this far.  She is fulfilling her purpose.  She has placed her trust in Him.  He will protect her, comfort her, and give her the strength to persevere.  These are the reasons that I left my baby in a trailer park in Alabama!!


No comments:

Post a Comment